So it’s been a while since my previous post. When i saw today’s daily prompt my mind just started bombarding with ideas and experiences and ideas that have improved my life radically.
I sometimes wonder is it just me or do women generally have zillion of things running in their mind simultaneously? I constantly wonder if it is even a possibility to calm my mind.
I have always battled with one issue on a daily basis. Doing what I don’t desire to do and rather ignore to do what I really wish to do be it small or big.
Why does that happen I wondered?
Being a person with strong convictions why do I still struggle to be who I truly want to be? What or who is stopping me?
As I pondered on this thought I was reminded of a part of the verse from the Bible, “Renewal of your mind”(had to Google to find the exact verse).
Romans 2:2 “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”
Oh, That’s all? Renewal of my mind. Okay. Let’s do it!
Wait a minute, where do I even start? How does this even work?
The answers were right there in the first and second half of the verse, “Do not be conformed to this world”….”that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”
I was able to identify two mistakes I had made along the way which lead to so much confusion in my mind.
- Doing what I felt was the right thing to do. My will over what the word says.
- Doing things because I was simply trying to please the people around me.
When I realized I had fallen prey to a common bait of Satan I made up my mind to hereafter go by what the word of God says. This wasn’t easy, the transformation did not happen overnight. I wasn’t suddenly struck by wisdom. Rather one by one I was searching for answers in God’s word instead of doing my will or the council of those around me.
I remember praying, “God I’d like to know your will but I have no idea where to start so teach as I step into this journey with you.”
This was the best decision I’ve ever made in my life.
I used to aimlessly read one verse a day, sometimes a random chapter and or even the entire book. But never have I meditated on it or even tried to understand what it says. The bible was a mystery to me, knowing some of the chapters and verses by heart did not help.
The following is what I did that lead to a transformation.
- I took the Joyce Meyer 30/30 challenge, spent time reading and meditating on the Word for 30 minutes for 30 days. Also watched the various video clips on the given daily topic. This was the first time I started and finished a challenge as scheduled. I even took notes for my understanding and went through it before going to bed every night. End of 30 days I was totally hooked to reading the Bible.
- After 30 days, I decided to read a specific book of the Bible which had few chapters so I don’t feel overwhelmed without a Bible study guide to help me. I chose Ruth. I watched YouTube videos on the story of Ruth, read commentaries by a couple of theologians and also read the chapters in different Bible versions. I started with the The Message version, then ESV and KJV. I did this for a better understanding. Reading first in the Message version helped kick-start the process smoothly.
- I took notes and jot down key points that spoke to me.
- I thought about what I had read throughout the day.
- Finally, I spoke the Word out. I just walk around my room/house just speaking it out loudly. Thus the Word was totally embedded in my mind.
- My outside influence were music, sitcoms, movies and social media. I cut down on all of it drastically. I still spend some limited amount of time doing all of it but only as an entertainment and to keep in touch with folks. I make sure I spend more of my time listening to audio Bible, podcasts, K-love radio and Christian movies.
- Finally, all my life I’ve struggled with my pray life, I usually run out of things to pray for within 2 minutes, but now I can go on and on praying for more than an hour.
By doing the above process I fell in love with being in God’s presence.
So reading the Word of God, Speaking it out loud and Praying are the foundations of my everyday life. My days are filled with joy and my time with God has totally influenced my decisions making process, my desires and my intentions.
On a daily basis my mind is totally renewed. I surrender all my worries and wishes to God. I have a sense of peace I have never felt.
I am truly living a radically transformed life.
I hope this article guides you and motivates you in your walk with God. I am certain when you truly give your heart to God your life will never be the same. You will not only love yourself but also inspire others to live a joy filled peaceful life.